Food Carts and Trucks in Eugene

People purchasing food at two local food trucks at Washington Jefferson Park

A food cart, also known as a mobile food unit, is a vehicle that is self-propelled or that can be pulled or pushed down a sidewalk, street, or highway, on which food is prepared or processed and is used in selling and dispensing food to the consumer.

A building permit is not required for a mobile food unit as long as:

  • The vehicle is on wheels at all times. (There is no requirement that it be moved at any specific time interval only that it be able to be moved.)
  • It is not enclosed by a structure, attached to a structure, or otherwise restricted from being able to be moved at all times.
  • It does not require a special permit from the Oregon Department of Transportation to be moved.
  • Connection to onsite electrical is via a flexible cord plugged into a receptacle; no hard-wired connection allowed.
  • There is no piped connection to water service or wastewater piping.

View our Food Vending Fact Sheet to learn more about rules and regulations related to food carts and trucks.

Contact Us