Permit Requirements

When Do I Need A Permit?

In addition to any permits required by other departments or agencies, a Fire Operational Permit shall be obtained from the Eugene Springfield Fire Marshal’s Office prior to engaging in the following activities and operations.

  • Places of Assembly: The temporary gathering of 50 or more persons for such purposes as deliberation, education, instruction, worship, entertainment, amusement, drinking and dining in a space not approved for assembly use.
  • Amusement Building: Haunted houses and similar temporary installations. See Appendix K
  • Bonfires: An operational permit is required to conduct a Bonfire within the Springfield Urban Growth Boundary.
  • Carnivals or Fairs: Permit always required.
  • Exhibits and Trade Shows: An event in which the display of products or services is organized to bring together the provider and users of the products and services. An operational permit is required when the number of tables or booths exceed 10, cooking is involved or when the display area exceeds 500 square feet.
  • Fireworks:
    • Agricultural
    • Public Displays
    • Retail Sales
    • Wholesale
  • Performances with Fire: An operational permit is required to conduct a performance that utilizes fire for entertainment purposes, outside of a protective housing or in ways in which it travels through the air (by one person or between multiple persons) in a public or private location. i.e. fire dancing, juggling
  • Pyrotechnic Special Effects
  • Liquid- or Gas-fueled Vehicles or Equipment in Assembly Buildings
  • Temporary Membrane Structures and Tents: An operational permit is required to operate an air-supported temporary membrane structure, a tent having an area in excess of 1500 square feet or an occupant load of 50 or more, or multiple tents with an aggregate area of 1500 square feet.

Corndog stand at a fair              Stage show with flame effect               Special Event Tent