Become a BLS Technician
If you are interested in becoming a BLS Technician with Eugene Springfield Fire, here are some things you should do:
- Obtain your EMT (Basic) certification with the State of Oregon. Classes are offered at Lane Community College in Eugene, Chemeketa Community College in Salem, and Umpqua Community College in Roseburg - see Quick Links.
- Obtain a valid Oregon Driver’s License.
- Optionally obtain work experience with a transporting ambulance provider or volunteer with a rural fire department for patient care EMT experience - see link to Volunteer Association.
Please see the links to the right, including the City of Eugene Job Openings Page.
Minimum Qualifications and Critical Skills
- 18 years of age or older
- Acceptable driving record
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Review DPSST Oregon Administrative Rules regarding felony and misdemeanor convictions
- No tobacco use
- Oregon EMT certification
- Possession of and ability to maintain American Heart Association or equivalent Health Care Provider CPR card
- Valid Oregon driver’s license
- All applicants are subject to a physical exam and must meet minimum requirements for the BLS Tech role
- Communication skills
- Good judgment
- Interpersonal skills
- Problem solving skills
All applicants will be subject to a criminal background check, and all job offers will be contingent upon the successful completion of background investigations including criminal history, driving record, employment history, education verification and personal references.