EPD SPECIAL INVESTIGATIONS UNIT
The Special Investigations Unit (SIU) consists of experienced detectives, a technical specialist and a sergeant. The Special Investigations Unit is responsible for investigating crimes against persons and other assigned duties.
Examples of cases assigned to Special Investigations Unit for investigation include:
- Bias Crimes
- Gang related crimes
- Human trafficking investigations
- Drug overdose investigations
- Threat analyst investigations
- Assault investigations
- Gun related investigations
- Detectives are members of the Lane County Interagency Deadly Force Investigative Team (IDFIT)
Objectives of the SIU
The Special Investigations Unit objectives are to ensure successful criminal investigations and prosecution of crimes committed in Eugene. The SIU often works closely with other agencies both local and federal. The SIU is responsible for the technical surveillance needs of the department. In addition to their investigation duties, each detective is assigned a community group as a liaison in the City of Eugene.